Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:36 pm 
I race a '74 CR250 and the right side peg mounting bolt always stretched and needed tightened. I finally MIG welded this to the frame to prevent a breakage/broken ankle. Now I noticed the peg mount is bending down. The frame has the usual gussets to help prevent breaking but is there anything else I can do to prevent this? Does someone make a better mount?
Lately I also noticed the left peg is hanging down too. Not as much but it is. This one is not removable.

I am thinking of adding a small triangle gussett between the mount and peg mount to stiffen the right peg mount. Now I am concerned about the left peg which is not traditionally a problem. I have later model (longer) pegs on this bike and welding is not a problem for me.
Is there anyone out there with any other ideas?
Is it advisable to gussett between both pegs?

I weigh about 205 with gear on and race in the 250 Expert and 40+ open Expert classes. The bike has 30 wt oil in the forks and Works shocks on the rear set up for Intermediate skills. At least that is what we told them when ordering the shocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:15 pm 

Hi Rick,

I have mine set up similar without a bending problem. But then I race Intermediate. I have gusseting running a couple inches forward to a couple inches behind each peg on the inside of the frame. Right peg welded to frame as well. Elongated pegs I built for it back in 1973.

One thing I have seen on a couple of bikes is metal failure right at the peg with the peg tearing off the frame at the weld. Got to looking at one at the Fernley NV MX last year and it looked like water had built up inside the frame unable to drain and rusted the interior. Failed without warning on landing off a good size jump unfortunately.

HTH,

Loren