Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:29 pm 
I am thinking of rebuilding a set of original 1974 Honda CR 250 shocks. These are the alloy body finned shocks as came standard. They appear to be rebuildable as the top of the body is screwed into the body (not welded). Anyone know of where new seals are available from and how much (what type) of oil to use in them? Second, I remember some companies used to sell a freon (sometimes other gas) charged cell (sealed bag) that could be fitted into old shocks to convert them to gas shocks. Anyone know of any companies that still sell such a thing?

Thanks,
David Barr
mailto:dmbarr23595@aol.com

Post subject: shocks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:19 pm 
Your shocks are rebuildable. I sell seals for $12 a set but I need to know if they are the early 10mm shaft or later 12.5mm shaft. I recommend 5w oil nothing heavier seems to work. You can do it yourself they are not that complicated. The tricky part is filling them with oil. Too much and they lock up mid stroke, too little and they run out of dampening at the top of the stroke. Contact me at mailto:elsinorestuff@qwest.net if you want seals or if you want me to rebuild them for you.