Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MSR Handlebars
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:51 pm 
Hi all,

I was in my local Honda dealer today looking for a new set of bars. I saw the MSR Profile Carbon Steel and was really surprised at the low price. Only $ 21.99. Not much more than I used to pay for a good set of bars back in the 70's. Kid behind the counter said they were comparable to some of the Renthal's.

Does anyone have an opinion of these bars?

TIA,

Loren

Post subject: Re: MSR Handlebars
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:52 pm 
I have MSR steel bars on my 1981 YZ-250 and they are great. I had the same type on a 1974 TM-125 Suzuki and they were very good also. I don't have Renthals on any of my bikes because I try not to crash hard, I'm too old for that stuff.

A friend of mine had Renthals on a 1981 YZ-465, endoed it and bent his tripleclamps. His Renthals were OK though. I would rather have bent handlebars than tripleclamps any day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:53 pm 
The MSR metal bars is about all I use now. They are cheap and have not bent even slightly from minor crashes. A plus for me is that I can run the same bars on different bikes so adjusting back and forth from my Vintage to my Evo bikes is a little easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:54 pm 
Well, you can't beat the price. What bend do you use? I looked on MSR's web page, but could not find the bars to get the measurements off from to match the bars on my 75 CR 250.
Thanks,
Frankie