Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1974 MT 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:06 am 

Does anyone have any info on these bikes? Good, bad or different. I know of one of these for sale and I'm just looking for some general back ground on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:05 am 
spaceage - what are you intentions for the bike - do you want to ride it and, if so, how? street or offroad or both? are you wanting to buy and turn for a quick profit? i guess a little more info would be helpful - el

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:22 am 

I'm looking for an inexpensive bike to ride to work durning the summer. I only have a 2 mile drive and starting up my truck for that seems like such a waste sometimes. This bike I'm looking at starts and runs. It has all the lights but none are currently working, which is an issue for me. The guy said the headlight was working, but when I looked at it it wasnt working. Its a little rough around the edges. Needs a seat cover and rear fender has a chunk missing. Only other major issue is the guy had screws put into the tires for riding on ice and wants to keep the wheels and tires. So far I havent been able to find a place to buy used wheels and tires. I guess Im just looking for informationon how hard these bikes are to work on and if there is anything I should be looking for when checking the bike over. Although I have never owned a motorcycle I do have snowmobiles and do all my own maintenance so Im guessing working on this wouldnt be a big deal. Thanks in advance for any background on these bikes anyone can provide.

Post subject: MT250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:25 pm 
I have some parts for MT250s including wheels if you want them. They are pretty good simple bikes for street or dirt. If you want to ride it to work you will need to start with a good battery. Getting all the lites to work is a chore. You have to pin down each and every short in the wiring. I restored one here in AZ to ride on the street only to look around for new off road riding spots. Info at mailto:elsinorestuff@qwest.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:13 pm 

space ace - well, did you buy it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:23 pm 

No I havent bought it. Probably would have been worth it if I was only looking for something to ride off road, but my main concern was having lights work for riding on the street and that could have been a mess as the guy said they were working and then the day I looked at it they didnt. If the price was less I would have taken a chance on it but for now Im on a tight budget. After buying it, replacing the wheels and tires as well as messing with fixing the lights, it just wasnt worth it to me.