Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1973 Elsinore Barn find
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:58 pm 

Hi Guys
In 1974 I was the proud owner of a brand new Elsinore 250m. I happened to be looking for a new ride this weekend locally and couldnt beleive it when i saw an ad for a 1973 CR250m practically in my backyard. Needless to say i couldn't refuse to buy it so now I am the owner of a 35 year old dirtbike. I cleaned the carb, air filter, changed the oil and put in fresh gas and it started right up. The tranny seems fine, the only things I can find wrong are that the chamber is dented in and the kickstarter desn't always engage well. If anyone could give me an idea of the value I will sadly most likely be selling it as I really just need a trail bike. I have pics but don't know how to post them.
Thanks
JMAN

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm 

Value can be all over the place depending on condition, so we'd need to see your pics. You can pm me too and maybe I can help. Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 am 

[img]Image
[/img]Image
[img]Image
[Image
/img][imgImage][/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 pm 

SWEEET find !!! Looks to be in a little above-average shape. What it's worth will depend on who is looking to buy one to ride or restore.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 am 

Kick starter is a bit of bad news since it means engine work, but who knows if you would be selling to someone who is planning a complete tear down anyway.

First thing first, if you don't know already find out its racing history. It's a shot if it has a history with a famous rider it will increase the value substantially. You would also not do anything but wash it.

Check the frame in the area of the foot pegs, about 4" in either direction. That is where they break.

If it was my bike, I wouldn't let it go for less then $1,500 and if I sold it on eBay I would expect the final price to be north of $2,500.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:26 am 

Hey Ricortes
Thats great info,I think I may have misled people on the kick starter, it works but it misses on occasion. I haven't pulled the side cover but I think it would be a worn gear or return spring but it does work. I don't know of a way of finding out if it was raced. I bought it from a man in his sixties who said he bought it to use as a trail bike with his kids. Other than that I have no info. In looking over the bike the only sign may have been raced is that the spokes were wired together. As I recall when I raced mine we also immediately pulled the kickstands as they weren't allowed at the local tracks.
Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Thanks Josh Allen

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:17 pm 

The kicker problem is a super easy fix. These do not require a complete engine tear down. Just pull the side cover off, then probably the kicker pawl is either sticky and needs cleaning, or it's worn out and needs $15 for a new one.
Don't sell the bike. Keep it until you are down to your last dollar. It will do nothing but appreciate, and you will have the chance to appreciate it back.
Enjoy,
Jon