Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gas tank?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:00 am 

will a cr125 tank fit on a mr250? what year are the steel tanks 125?

Post subject: Re: gas tank?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:06 pm 

A CR250 tank will bolt right on. You will need shorter bolts, obviously and a CR seat or the gap between the tank and seat looks a little odd. I'll post pic below. However, it is my understanding that the CR125 tank is smaller than the 250 tank and you might have problems with the length and fitting over the frame lugs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 pm 

Based on the RC Clark tank I have, which I believe was made for the 125, the CR125 tank may be shorter. It most likely can be made to fit. You may have to bolt the front mount through the big hole in the frame, instead of the mount post. I used big rubber corks (one per side) to fill the frame hole, drilled holes in the "corks" off center, so the corks could be rotated to adjust the fit. I ended up taking the RC tank off, after running out of gas in the woods. MR 250 is a thirsty bike!

if you are looking to buy a tank, I'd buy one for a 250. it will bolt right on.
Hey Mitchie, how you been?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:25 am 

MR: Been doing great, thanks for asking. Been riding a few times in the last month. Bike is running better than new. I find I can go further with the new Mikuni, but probably only because the old keihin was so worn out it would run super rich no matter how I jetted it. Probably not going to get the bike out for another month or so because we have the oldest girl's wedding in two weeks...........sigh....... Oh well, at least I get to go to Florida for a week (I can hear the money draining out of my bank account--ouch!). What's up with you??

Don, look at Re-Mx. they have a plastic tank for the 125, 250 and even for the MR250. Scroll down on this page: http://www.re-mx.com/cr/cr125_cr250.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 pm 

I now have the plastic "MR" tank listed on Mitchie,s link on my bike when I don't want to dent my original. looks good on the bike, I believe it was originally listed for an XR250. Mitchie, Been working too much, not riding enough!

Attachments:
MR250_tonyHS06.JPG
MR250_tonyHS06.JPG [ 182.48 KiB | Viewed 3395 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:42 am 

Workin' too much for The Man and stressed out mom watching 2-year old and 12-year old. It will get better.

I like that tank. I think I'll get one so I don't destroy my CR tank. What shocks are you running??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:55 pm 

Orange shocks are Boge. They work pretty good for old shocks, but almost anything works better than the stock "pogo-sticks"

I also have an old clapped out set of Works Performance (no air valve) that need a re-build. Someday when I have the time and $...