Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:43 pm 

Hey guys, I'm sure all of you know my problem. A floppy kickstarter that gets in the way while riding!

Mine is waaaaayyy worn out and flops around terribly. How can I fix it? Or at least keep it from doing this while I am riding it? I have found some in good shape, but they always cost way too much for my budget at the moment.

Just looking for a easy temporary fix (or permanent if some of you experts know the tricks) to get a little more enjoyment out of a day of riding this great bike.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Benji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 am 

There are a couple of thing you will need to address. First pull the snap ring from the pivot bolt and check the spring and ball. The spring is probably sacked and will need to be replaced, that will help a little. Next, check the slop between the pin and kickstart arm and knuckle, it is probably a lot. One repair is to find a brass sleeve that fits the pin then drill the arm and knuckle to accept the sleeve (slight interference fit is best), install it and you're good to go. Another method is to fill weld the hole in the arm and knuckle then redrill it to fit the pin. One other area to inspect is the detent in the knuckle. If it is excessivelly worn (the detent is not a well defined round dimple), you can repair that with a welder too. All the above will yield a nice permanent fix mechanically and then replate or chrome the assembly for cosmetics if desired, and it will be good as new.

Hope this helps.

dogger

2008 CR500R
2009 CR250R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 pm 

+1 on refreshing the spring and ball. You can get these parts from the hardware store. There is a guy called Lee (?) from Proformance Cycle (?) who offers a make-over for kick starters. I think you can get hold of him via this forum - http://www.post-vintage.com/.