Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:36 pm 
About a year ago I bought a 1976 CR 250, and when looking for caburators, discovered that my bike required a 36mm due to it having a "factory competition cylinder" since that time I have bought another 1976 CR 250 and it has the same larger 36mm on it? I know from experience that these two bike will not run well with 34mm and run great with the 36mm. So whats the deal, did Honda make a change in the middle of 1976, and I just so happened to get two of those bikes? I have the original Owners manual and it says in the back that the 36mm and "Factory Competition Cylinder" was a dealer option and that the stock carb is a 34mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:37 pm 
I suspect that Honda upgraded bikes as they rolled down the assembly line so as they ran out of 34mm carbs they used the 36mm carb. The microfiche shows them all having 34mm but the two 76 CR250s I have also have 36mm keihins. I tried a 36mm Mikuni from sudco on one and it makes the bike run better and start much easier!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:38 pm 
Yeh, Honda sold these items as accesories called the "GP" head with hotter porting. It requiered the larger carb. I believe this kit was also available on the 73 74s as well. I have not had any issues with my 76 and the stock 34. The bike hauls as is. On my 74 with mods I run a DG head high volume intake from Sam Alexander a 36 Mikuni and K&N filter. The bike also has a Pro Form exhaust that supposedly broadens the powerband. This bike is also a frieght train.