Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:33 pm 

Hi all,

I am located in Albuquerque, NM and I just recently acquired an '81 CR250 this past weekend as a Freebie!! From what I have been researching, it is considered an Elsinore...which led me over here? Anyway, glad to be on the forum and I look forward to learning more about dirtbikes/motorcycles (I am a car guy).

I have been having trouble locating parts for this bike! I think I found a coil and CDI unit at a junkyard locally. The bike also needs a clutch and some aesthetic work but I hope I can get it running soon!

If anyone has any parts for this bike or helpful info, please let me know!

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:16 am 

Ok, last night we actually got the bike to start after picking up a CDI unit and coil from a junkyard bike. It sounded strong but when we tried to start it a second time nothing happened. We can't get spark anymore. The manual says to suspect the coil if no spark appears so it looks like I will be searching for new coil.

Are any coils from other models interchangeable? Perhaps one from a CR450 of the same year? Other years? Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:23 pm 

Go to http://www.powersportspro.com and sign up for their Parts Fish service. They have on-line diagrams where you can compare part # between model years. Coils are commonly used across many models. Select a part you are interested in, add it to your shopping basket, then checkout. Before you actually buy list the contents of the basket and you will see the Honda part # (rather than their part #). Before leaving add your bike to your "garage" for next time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:50 am 

Hey thanks for the tip! I will definetly check that out!

The bike actually started yesterday and ran! I ended up replacing the ECI, coil and stator and it fired right up! The only problem now is that when revved, the engine stays revved! Damn that thing is loud! :shock:

I think something in the carburator might be sticking or the throttle cable. The rubber hose that connects the carb to the intake manifold is also in pretty bad shape and might be letting in extra air. The bike sure sounds mean though and progress has been made...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:57 am 

If it idles fast with the throttle closed, I would suspect an air leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:08 am 

You are probably right. I will try to source that hose ASAP.