Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 74 250 throttle rev?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:06 pm 

hello i was wondering if someone could tell me what is going on with my elsinore. i was at the final race at woodland and was coming over the tunnel jump and my elsinore went to full throttle. i got it killed and i twisted the throttle and let it go and heard the slide hit the bottom of the carb i did this a couple of times. then i started it up again did not touch the throttle and it went full throttle. i checked the carb took it apart and put it back together and it still did it. can anyone give me some input on this one has puzzled me.

thanks
Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:18 pm 
Check for an air leak. Look at intake for cracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:08 am 

I agree with John. It's getting a big gulp of air and going lean....that's what makes it scream to the moon. Base gasket maybe sucked in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:06 am 

You might also consider that the right-hand side crank oil seal is leaking. This allows air to get sucked into the engine behind the rotor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:57 pm 

Brad,
None of the above.

Take the top off the carb. Lookie at the needle. Is the adjustable circlip on top of the round plate or below it? If it is above the plate, that is your problem. When you land hard the needle "pops up" and will get stuck sideways under the slide. After a couple raps of the throttle it will find the main jet emulsion tube and settle down.

:oops: I fought this same problem for three races thinking it was the cable, tube, bad wrist... and happened upon this during a jetting day. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:55 pm 

i checked the little clip it is on the right way. but i know what you are talking about that was one of the first things that i checked. thanks for your help i think i might have found it.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:39 pm 

thank you guys for your reply but i have found the problem. when i was racing i heard a loud thud and noticed that the little gromet that the ignition wire goes through was popped out. i noticed that the smell of gasoline was present. i didnt dawn on me that the crank seal could have been the problem. so tonight i finally looked at the seal and noticed the the spring was half way out of the seal. so i replaced it and it started right up and ran like a dream.

thanks,
Brad