Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:59 am 

In a perfect world, you would cut about 3/8" off the rear flange of the 36 VM Mikuni for a perfect fit. I didn't and just worked the rear boot over the rear of the carb carefully. It works great with no modification.

Here is what I use: 2.5 slide; 35 pilot; 6f5 needle; 159q4 needle jet; 260 main over 80 degrees and 270 main in cold months. I think. I switched to a 6f4 needle at one point and really can't remember what I have in there now.

It is jetted pretty perfecly for me. Get both needles and see which one works best for you. And I really can't remember what notch I have the needle on. Next week (after oldest girl's baby shower this weekend) I can probably pull the top of the carb and let you know which needle and notch I have it set up with.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:52 am 

Ok, thanks. I actually just got a free 75 MT 250. So I am working on that now. I got it to fire, but I am going to work ok it more now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 pm 

Ok well its time for a update. I got the bike running and driving great, I ended up just getting a main jet 2 sizes smaller and it works well. Still has a rich idle but oh well. The bike is now for sale, a guy is coming to look at it tomorow. I would like to get something newer such as a xr 200 or 250 in need of repair (like this one) or possibly a modern 2 stroke, and fix it and either ride or sell that. Here is a video of me starting it and walkaround. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wMpHfoqJ-0

Thank you everyone for all the help.

-Ryan I.

P.S. I am not completley Elsinoreless yet, I still have that MT250 that still needs some tinkering to be perfect. Oh and the main reason there was no update for so long is my brother was pulling me on the MT250 to attempt to start it with the 3 wheeler and he turned around too quickly and made me go flying and I fractured a growth plate in my right shoulder (yay i was already injured and the thing didnt even run yet :lol: ) but I am 100% now :D