Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:10 pm 
I am restoring a 1975 MT 250. In regards to bike value, is it suggested a paint or powdercoat. I would prefer to have the frame blasted and coated but I do not want to take away from the bike's future value.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:35 am 
Just my opinion and I don't hold it really strongly.

I have a '74 MT 250. The only way a MT would be as desirable/collectable as a CR <for instance> would be restored, registered, and licenced.

Kind of implies that it has to be as close to original as possible which means a powder coated frame.

Figure a perfectly restored street legal MT is worth in the $800-$1500 range. Last time I checked powder coating prices it was relatively cheap.

But some collectors are strange in that many demand everything to be what came with the original bike. It can't be a collection of parts from several different bikes. The ones I know even check out if you have been doing things like buying parts on eBay for the bike. If they see you needed to get [tank, forks, fenders, ...] they wouldn't own it.

Post subject: Restoration
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:03 am 
I restore what I come across so the 1975 MT 250 is my new project. I went to the DMV yesterday and was able to do 80% of my paperwork and paid my fees. I live in CA so I have to have the vin verified by the CHP. I understand this is not a big deal, I just bring the complete bike by and they verify the vin to the DMV paperwork. Therefore, I will have a title for the bike, this was my biggest concern.

I have decided to powdercoat. The bike was spray painted top to bottom. Therefore, I have purchased numerous parts from ebay to get the proccess started. I will eventually strip the original parts and restore them to new. I will keep all of the parts together as a collection. I'm really not concerned about value overall, it's just a hobby.

My last project was taking a new 2003 moto guzzi and turning it into a pro street bike. Pictures of the guzzi and MT can be seen at livingorangecounty.net if any of you are really bored. The guzzi has lots of chrome since the pictures and has been lowered 2 inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:16 pm 
I haven't dealt with it lately because my experience had been so bad I gave up. I guess I should try again and see if they have lightened up a bit. It isn't supposed to be just VIN check by CHP, I believe they also are supposed to do a safety check which means checking all the lights and stuff. I live in the S.F. Bay area, maybe they were just in a fervor at the time.

Nice Moto Guzi. I think the MT has found a good home.

Post subject: Your Right
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:43 pm 
You are right. They would do a safety check if I was registering for the road. I did a non-operation, off road so I can get the title. When I add the lights I will have to go back for a safety check but it won't be a big deal because I will have the title.

Thanks for the comment on the Guzzi. I am about to go for a ride on PCH in CA to look at a sand rail the is on and off road legal. Never enough toys. It's a tough life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:07 pm 

I had the same thoughts, but I painted mine. I bought the repo fenders and side covers from Red-Racer and had those color matched to a pint of paint. I bought a detail gun from snap-on and painted all the parts myself and was ready to assemble in two days.

79 CR250R