Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am 

I own a 1975 MT250, it had 3400 miles when I bought it. I got it from an old man's basement and looked like it had never been washed plus dropped once.
Anyways... I used to be able to get 90 miles to my tank of gas which boiled down to 45mpg. No matter what; the reserve would need to be turned on at 60 miles and my tank would run out at exactly 90.this Was exact for a year of riding, hot or cold, I always got the same fuel economy.
Now the bikes top end gaskets were gone as well as the intake gasket so I was losing a little fuel that way. In addition to the top end gaskets I also had a leaky carb. So naturally I changed all the gaskets through the top end, exhaust & intake plus put a carb gasket kit in... all leaked were solved.
So now my reserve hits at 40 miles and my gas runs out at 60 miles... like clockwork...
I love to ride this thing but at 25mpg plus the cost of oil...it’s not really economical for me to ride anymore (I know I should just collect it but I love to ride it!)
soooo.... with all that said I do have one thing to add now...
I read on this forum that it increases power to drill out the center of the stock exhaust where the pipe pinches down right before the baffle...so I did(right after i got the top end back together, could this really have decreased my fuel economy by that much? I did not change my piston and rings either... should i have done that? It’s easy enough for me to throw a new piston in and see but I wanted to ask around to the people on this forum.
Thanks!
Here gopro video link riding by a cool abandoned building last weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwrbNvLMxE