Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1975 MR 50 no spark
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 am 

Hi, new to this forum and i have a spark problem with a MR50 that has been sitting for years. When I started cleaning it up I had spark but notice that there was greasy dirt in the points area so I sprayed electrical contact cleaner through the flywheel slots and blew it out with compressed air. Now i have no spark, I removed the flywheel and the stator pale to look at/clean better, and find no bad wires but still no spark. Does anyone know the resistance that I am suppose to get from the stator coil. Thank you for the help. :(

Post subject: Re: 1975 MR 50 no spark
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:12 pm 

I dont know if you figured out what is wrong yet , I have a manual and I dont see anything in the service manual, it only says to check the continuity at the stator coil. Have you tried to adjust the points? and i would assume you have double checked all connections. I would adjust point 1st and try to see if I get spark with a new plug.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 am 

thanks for the response, i have checked and double checked , the plug wire from the coil was in bad shape so i bought a new coil when I get it I will start over.I will post the progress or lack there of.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am 

installed new coil, checked connections still no spark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm 

I dont know anything about your bike so i am just guessing.

I assume the flywheel is still good. Does it have a condensor and if it does have you checked it.

I'm just going on a magneto fired ignition. Have you tried a different spark plug.

another possibility is bad kill switch or bad ignition switch. The only other thing is check the ohm/continuity of all wires in the ignition circuit. hope you get it figured out.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm 

Ok I would check the kill switch buy not pugging it in, leave those two wires unplugged.
This is a simple system point and condenser, you recieved a new Condenser attached to the coil
I would make a guess that it is in the points have you tried to adjust them at all ? I wouldn't think it would be the rectifier. as it all seems to have started after you sprayed the points with contact cleaner. if you have a little emery cloth try slipping in between the points and pulling it out once or twice and see that at least gets you sparking.

Attachments:
DSCF5332.JPG
DSCF5332.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 5761 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

Pull fly wheel again and clean pick up at the stator and flywheel as well to make sure you are getting good pick

Attachments:
pick ups.JPG
pick ups.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 5761 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 am 

IF.....IF ....all you did is spray contact cleaner on the points AND it DID have spark before that...then I would use a fingernail board or something equal and simply file the points to clean them.
I had a friend that put in brand spanking new points in his Elsinore and .....no spark. He called me I told him to do the same as above and poof...spark.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:59 pm 

So did you get the MR running?