Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm 

Greetings from a new member.
I have an acquaintance trying to clear out his shed of some old items, one being what appears to be a '73 or '74 CR250M. He said '76, but based on this page http://honda-elsinore.alp-sys.com/elsieref/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=578 it doesn't appear to be '76.

I'm not necessarily a vintage bike guy, but this sounded like it could be a fun project. My experience is '70's model Suzuki GT380 and then early 80's Kawasaki KZ750LTD street bikes ridden from the early 80's into the mid 90's. Then, didn't ride again until a couple years ago and started getting dirty on Kaw '06 KLX250, '06 KLR650, and Honda '97 XR250.

Here are the numbers:
Frame: CR250M1012521 control 292796 on the California "Assigned Identification Number" frame tag (I suppose I need to look for another frame number as I'm assuming now that this California tag is not the official frame number.)

Engine:CR250ME1012681 on the right-side little plate, and CR250ME1012631 control 292797 on the "Assigned Identification Number" tag by the State of California. Another assumption is the right-side number is correct, and California mis-read an "8" for a "3" in the engine number.

I've not yet had a chance to really look this thing over. It's coming with a larger after-market desert tank, stator cover, and a few extra parts the owner has. The motor turns over and seems to have good compression, and the story is the bike ran when it was shoved into the shed only to be ignored for a long time.

I'm not looking to bring this bike back to showroom condition. I would just like to get her running and play around occasionally in the desert and forest roads. I'm willing to pour a grand or so into pieces and parts. So, my questions to you all in the know are:
1. Based on what you see here (pics below), does this thing appear restorable with "reasonable" effort (ya, my definition of reasonable may be different from yours :lol: )
2. Is it worth it?
3. Should I just part it out instead? If so, is there any market for what I have?
4. Do the frame and engine numbers "match"?
5. I don't think I'll get front or side number plates. Are these available in the aftermarket world?

Talk me into or out of this project, please!