Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 am 

Hi guys, I'm about halfway through the restore/mod to my MR250 and I'm looking for a new tank. Quite a few months back I happened to find a Clarke plastic tank for an MR250, but I didn't get it at the time. It seemed like something that seller had in stock and I should've went ahead and got it. I can't find it now.

I've been seeing '76-'80 CR tanks, both plastic and otherwise, on eBay for decent prices, so I'm wondering if the mounting dimensions will work between the MR and CR. Mine is pretty banged up and I'm planning on racing this with AHRMA in Cross Country, so I'd like to do a plastic tank to save a little weight. But even the smaller size CR tank would be nice if I can make it fit. I can make spacers if it's a width issue as long as the length is close enough.

Seems like I saw someone with a MR that had a CR tank, but now I can't remember who that was.

Motor is just about ready to go back together. All bearings are out, all new ones with seals are waiting for the cases to get the final cleanup and re-paint. Frame is almost ready. Going to shoot another coat of black and some clear coat. Sending the forks off to Matt Wiley at Race Tech to get springs and emulators. Got some new Progressive shocks that a friend has on his PE250 and he really likes them. At some point I think I'll get some Works or other custom ones, but for now these are fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:32 pm 

Hey t.reed. I realize your post was way back in October. :shock: But did you come up with a tank for your MR250? I may have something you'd be interested in!
If you get this, email me at DougMX726@gmail.com.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:55 pm 

I found a used Clarke XR tank that fits ok, but the stem pinch bolt on the top triple clamp hits the top of the tank when I got lock to lock. Also, kinda wished it was closer to the MR red color. It's more of an orange red. It is nice to be able to see the gas in it though.