Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:49 am 

The CR which I picked-up last winter has never been dis-assembled. Basically all of the fasteners are perfect. When I took off the clutch side cover all of the phillips head fasteners were in perfect condition. Inside the clutch was perfect...really no visible wear...no pieces lying in the bottom of the case, etc...When I went to re-assemble the clutch cover to the crankcase I used some nice new allen head bolts. When I tightened them up I ran into problems.

What happened was that when I tightened-up the bolts the kick-starter shaft became bound (tightened) in the side case cover. It was very difficult to push down and it would not return with just the return spring. I could move it through it's normal travel but only with too much effort. I took it apart and re-assembled everything several times to insure that the kick-start shaft had not been re-assembled incorrectly. I even tried re-assembling everything without a gasket...that made no difference. As of right now I have been able to get the kick-start shaft to return on its own only by very carefully tightening the side case cover bolts slowly being sure to go back and forth from side to side to try to get everything very evenly tightened. Even adding gentle taps with a plastic mallet to try to keep things even. Even with this extra care I have to leave the bolts around the kick-start shaft just barely tightened in order for the kick-start shaft to return with the return spring.

Any ideas out there? I've checked that the side case cover is not warped by placing it on a big piece of glass...And, by the way, the kick-starter returned very strongly before I took the side case cover off...and the original fixing bolts were on very tight...I had to use a impact driver to remove them...

Has anyone else had this issue???

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions...

Mike

http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:29 pm 

I should have left an up-date a couple of weeks ago. The problem has been solved. I just got after the opening in the side case cover where the kickstarter passes through. Just a quick touch-up with a Dremel tool and it opened up enough to allow the kickstarter to pass through freely. As you guys know, the oil level in the clutch side is well below the kickstarter so no problems. I've been for several rides since I did this work and there is no seepage. Photos on my blog if anyone is interested.

Adios

Mike

http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com/