Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: loose shift lever
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:15 pm 

I searched for stripped shift lever, loose shifter, etc, etc and couldn't find anything definitive... for the last couple days I been loctiting and tightening bolts and nuts and general assembly of the old green striper and had my first few rips on her, boy was I surprised she hauls pretty good! (just wanted to see if she'd run up the road as I still haven't rebuilt the engine)

anyways my shift shaft splines are excellent, my shift lever splines are not the best... does anybody know of tried and true methods to fasten the shifter securely?

I filed the gap slightly wider and tried shimming with a strip of popcan, that didn't work!!

I'm just about to drill through the threads of the lever bolt hole and put a bolt and nut through it?? any better ideas fellas??

Post subject: Re: loose shift lever
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:57 pm 

any other years fit? CR125 or CR250?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:45 am 

I'm about 90% sure this shift lever will work, and if not it can be easily returned:

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Folding-Shif ... o+83-88033

I believe the MT125, MT250, CR125M, and MR175 shift levers will fit the CR250M shift shaft, along with a number of CB / CL / ATC etc. models from the 70's and 80's. The issue is how far the lever sticks out to the left - the smaller bikes' levers all tuck in pretty tight. The MT250 and MR250 shift levers would almost certainly fit fine.

Ray

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 am 

thanks for the help Ray! I believe I've sourced an oem lever, but for now I used a grade 8.8 bolt and cut down and slid about 8 sewing needles inbetween the loose splines.... seems to be holding for now