Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:52 am 

Hey, I'm new here but, wanted to share some info with you on identification of a '73 Elsinore. I picked up this bike recently from a guy here in central Texas. This particular bike was a one owner bike with light usage. The claim is that the bike was raced a very few times and then put away. The owner wouldn't let anyone else ride the bike as he thought it was too much bike for his kids at the time. So, the bike just sat in the garage until the owner's death last year. The family decided to put it up for sale. I nabbed it (luckily). I've had a standing search for 'Elsinore's on Craigslist for some time.
Anyway, on to the good stuff.

During my restoration of the bike, I turned up some clues on the manufacture date of 1973.
- The tires turned out to be the original tires with a date of the 22nd and 25th week of '3'. They only dated tires with 1 year digit back then. I read in another post that Bridgestones replaced the Dunlops mid 1973 so this also makes sense.
- Under the seat is another stamp reflecting July 27, of 73.
- Then the final proof, is in the stamped date on the bottom side of the swing-arm (July 25 of 73). I would bet a lot of guys have no idea that stamp is there as it's usually covered in 2 stroke oil, and muck. I didn't even see it at first until I cleaned it up.

Anyway, I've attached some pictures of the various stampings. I'd be curious if others see the same things. My restoration will be back to a condition of a bike just washed after a few races. I'm leaving all the small dents and tires, but eradicating the rust.

Also, based on my serial number of 1015102, if production started in mid Feb/Mar '73 for availability in dealers in mid March/April '73, then they ramped up production quickly and made about 15,000 Elsinore's in that time frame from Feb/Mar to end of July when my bike looks to have been made. That's 5 months at around 3,000 bikes a month! I've never seen production numbers and don't know if Honda ever even publishes such, but it's interesting nonetheless. Let me know if any of you have other info on this. Being also a 69 Camaro owner, I'm kinda a nut on dates and detective work on restorations. :)

Attachment:
IMG_5383.jpg
IMG_5383.jpg [ 140.49 KiB | Viewed 3257 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5387.jpg
IMG_5387.jpg [ 118.76 KiB | Viewed 3257 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5415.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg [ 226.79 KiB | Viewed 3257 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:34 pm 

Nice find, Do you have pics. of bike all together like you bought it? It none of my bisness but what did it cost? As I have a 1976 MR250 I bought last year and I'm trying to get my hand on a CR250 too. Hear is a pic of my MR.

Attachments:
DSCN0022.JPG
DSCN0022.JPG [ 3.44 MiB | Viewed 3246 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:07 pm 

Hey Eveready
Here's a pic of when I picked it up. Lots of surface rust on the pipe, bars, etc. I've addressed most all of it now and repainted the frame. I need to put a couple of more coats on it. Seat has no rips, tank has one small indention, otherwise in great Original condition. I paid north of 3k. It was so perfect to me that I couldn't resist. I've been hunting a LONG time.
p.s. like your bike... great that you can get it on the street as well.

Attachments:
IMG_5199-sm.jpg
IMG_5199-sm.jpg [ 224.41 KiB | Viewed 3240 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:32 pm 

Did you just buy that bike a month or two ago. I saw a nice one in Texas and wanted to buy it and he told me it was sold. Beautiful bike!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:49 pm 

Ktmadventure wrote:
Did you just buy that bike a month or two ago. I saw a nice one in Texas and wanted to buy it and he told me it was sold. Beautiful bike!!!

Yes...I did. It was on Austin Craigslist. It may still be there as I noticed he didn't delete the post after I picked it up. The bike is lightly used, and was stored in a garage. I've got it torn down and plan to do a 'mild' restore. Mostly preserving the state it's in now. ...eliminating all the dirt-dobber nests of course. (in the pipe, airbox, and every other hole or open spot on the bike). I'm not sure but those damn bees may have actually helped to keep water out of those areas over the years. :)