Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:43 pm 

Hi folks, has anyone posted a step by step instruction on how to rebuild the stock rear shocks? Scanned through several pages here but nothing turned up.

Thank-you,

2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 pm 

Sorry bud, not rebuildable. Best to replace with new aftermarket replacement shocks.

This is what I did to mine to buy some time till I get new shocks.
I drilled a 1/8" inch hole close to the bottom of the shock no closer than 1/4 inch from the weld.
Flush out the old oil with carb cleaner or your choice of solvent. I CAREFULLY used gas.
Be sure to let it air dry overnight.
Use a syringe and fill the shock with oil.
You may find it works best to extend the shocked as you are injecting oil as it creates a vacuum inside.
Do not overfill the shock. With the shock fully compressed... that is all you're going to get in there.
Compress the shock completely a few times and be careful while you are doing this but you want the surplus oil to come out of the hole...placed at the top of course.
Catch this oil for use in the other shock.
Expand the shock fully.
Clean the area and MIG or TIG weld that small hole shut.
Do not clean with brake cleaner as the residue can be lethal when you weld.

I found that if I had someone slowly extend the shock as I began to weld the oil didn't try to contaminate my weld. YMMV

When you compress the shock it should move to full compression travel and back out without hydrolocking.
Something that I found out by reading forums is the shocks are one way shocks. Even brand new they sucked as it has no dampening and only rebound. So that's all you're going to get but it's still a lot better than the pogo stick that you had.
I am doing my second shock tonight. I learned a lot from the first one and that's why I say to make sure your 1/4 inch above that weld at the bottom of the shock. If not you will find the bottom of the shock is solid and you may be drilling through solid metal or, like me, half through the block and half into the working resivour of the shock...and BREAK THE BIT. :(

Start saving your money:

http://www.japbikespares.com/honda-mt25 ... orbers-blk

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pr ... es-dampers

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:57 pm 

Thanks Rick.

2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:06 pm 

Well...after soaking both sides of my MT250 and a new pair of shoes and slacks with shock oil from the blown out 45 year old seals I broke down and ordered a set of progressive shocks.
I hated to spend the bucks but thy work WAY better than the old blown out dampers.

I have to admit the ride is a little rougher due to dampening and a slightly heavier spring rate (medium rate) but the rear stays planted on washboard roads.

A note to all. The bottom eyelet is offset one way about 1/8" from center. My guess is to get them further from the chain on some models. Of course I installed mine backwards but so far no clearance issues with the chain. I will rotate them 180 degrees the next time I am at my cabin in the mountains.

Rick