Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MT upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:10 am 

8) Hey guys and girls. Dave here from Australia. I'm in the process of restoring a 12/74 MT 250. It has most of its original parts in good condition. What I would like to do is remove the oil resivour and pump. I have heard it can be done safely. I'm wondering if it affects any other operation of the bike. Other than having to use premixed fuel. Also I am thinking of converting it from a 6 volt to 12 volt electrical system. Does any one have any information, or advice in this regard? Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards Dave.

Post subject: Re: MT upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:04 pm 

The MT250 injection system basically just sprays oil into the intake manifold, so there's no problem running premix provided the manifold hole is sealed off. I agree about removing the pump too, as without lubrication it will surely self-destruct eventually.

Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:13 am 

Thanks Ray
I'm going to have a look at it this week end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:32 am 

:?: Does anyone have any thoughts on 12 volt conversions? Also I'm ready to start painting parts. Wanting to paint it myself to save money any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:55 pm 

I've never done it myself, but it should be possible to connect the 6V lighting coil and 6V charging coil together in series, ending up with a higher (possibly much higher) single voltage with the current capacity of the charging-coil winding. You may have to experiment with different connection polarities to get a voltage close to what you want.

You could try calling CycleColor and Marbles Motors to see what they have in the way of Honda Elsinore paints. There used to be a place that sold aerosol cans of the CR silver and green paints, and of course there's always the Preval sprayers if you can find the paint you want in pints/quarts etc. If you're not concerned with getting a finish like OEM, I've gotten some very good results using DupliColor auto paint.

Ray