Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 pm 

After a winter engine rebuild I've been having a blast on the MT.
The only snag is that I have to prime the cylinder when cold as the enricher circuit doesn't seem to have any effect.
I found and soldered the obligatory crack in the feed tube; air jet to plunger passage is clear; plunger to carb throat is clear; plunger to choke standpipe is clear.
When the bike is idling at operating temp, flipping down the enricher lever has ZERO effect.
The tiny starter jet in the float bowl is screw driver marked but is definitely allowing fuel to pass.
I can't think of anything else to do.
Has anyone any insight on this issue?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:57 pm 

I'd definitely check the starter jet again - I bet the screwdriver damage happened for a reason. This jet has to supply a lot of fuel (at very low vacuum) with little restriction and lives down in 'sediment city', so - even if it is passing fuel - IME you have to make sure it's completely clear from both the top and bottom (float bowl) directions, and that any crap loosened up down there doesn't get sucked right back into the jet orifice (there's a round area directly under the jet that collects dirt and debris, which can be hard to get completely clean with the jet in). By 'air jet', I assume you mean the choke air inlet on the center RH side of the venturi area, and not the idle air screw inlet at the lower RH side of the carb bellmouth?

I've had some success getting these jets out if the jet slot is in good shape, but if not I wouldn't bother trying.

Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 pm 

Thanks Ray!
I've just finished checking out the well in the bowl and the jet.
The jet has no screwdriver slot left but the hole is intact and has a 32 thou opening. Maybe it's been drilled bigger?
Fuel fills the well to the same height as in the bowl.
I can't find anything wrong.
I'll check to see that the plunger is lifting high enough to clear the passages in the body; other than that, I'm stumped.
I'd def like to not have to carry a plug wrench around with me.
Does the rubber cap that slips over the top of the plunger assembly also act as an air seal?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm 

I put my finger over the end of the pickup tube and sprayed cleaner into the plunger side and voila!
My solder repair of the crack wasn't very good.
Update tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:41 pm 

I inserted an aerosol straw into the outlet hole in the carb throat; applied compressed air and the remains of a shelled insect blew out.
Now the starter circuit works. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:41 pm 

Thanks OP for the great updates and glad you and Ray figured this out.
I will have to take my carb apart again as IMO the choke does not work as good as it should. Sometimes I have to lean the bike waaayyyy over to get it to start.
I have 2 carbs so I will play with the spare first to learn what does what before I risk tearing a rubber boot removing my carb from my bike.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:59 pm 

I understand that the carbs on these aren't very highly regarded but she's a two kick starter now. :D