Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:38 am 

So, I mentioned some time back on here that I had just aquired a '76 MR250. It had the usual swamp goo in the case, sezed cables, rotted magnesium, seized wheel bearings, missing/cracked rubber, etc. But it had spark. Fast forward a few months and its nearly 100% again with all fresh seals and bearings in the motor, fresh bore and wiseco piston, fresh exhaust/repacked supertrapp, a big Vesco desert tank, new sprockets and chain, tires and spokes, and hopefully a VT tag in the mail today or tomorrow.

My problem is this: I have not ridden the bike yet, and am waiting on the rings to show up so i can pop the motor back in. in 13 days, I'm signed up to ride it 1000 miles on the Trans America Trail along with a pack of similar machines but mine is the only Elsinore that I'm aware of. I'll be traveling as light as i possibly can too. So aside from the break in cycles when I bust it off this week, how idiotic am I being for setting up for this run? Any known issues these have that would kill it along the way? I have a 6V/12V converter and a regulator to wire up for lighting control. most of this ride will be done during the daytime but I wanna be a little prepared in case im caught after dark on the trail too. I did put a brake switch on it so I can be legal there also. Premixing gas will bug me a tad but figure as long as i take a can along to mix I'll be ok there. So, anything I should address mechanically for this ride?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 pm 

Bring a spare bike. You are more ballsy than I. 1000 miles? Whoa!

Expect breakdowns but if you did your homework...
Best of luck and post your ups and downs of your trip.
I would put a few hundred miles on the 'ol girl first to dial it in.

Rick
1975 MT250

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:23 am 

I'd love to get a couple hundred miles on it before then but unfortunately have been delayed more times than I can count with various things. So at this rate I'll be firing it up for the first time this weekend, and I depart the following weekend. Plus my work/family schedule in the middle. Guess it will be a blind adventure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 pm 

So I'm 400 mile in to the 1000 mile ride, and I absolutely can't get the points plate to stay put. It's jumping out of time after about 20 minutes of riding. Any ideas for what's causing that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 pm 

Unless the stator or points are moving around under their screws, it's most likely the moving assembly on the stator; points arm, points pivot pin, etc. Lubrication or replacement are the only options I know of.

Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:43 pm 

I did replace the points assembly with a brand new set, even loc tited the bugger on to keep it from moving. Timed it with a light too. still no solution to the mess. It will start up, sorta idle, but any throttle at all and it bogs. seems the problem is getting worse and worse. in the beginning it would still run and had power, but over time it has lost more and more. even when i finished the rebuild on it it seemed to be lacking in the power somewhat. I just can't afford a PVL for this thing, nor am i 100% convinced thats where the problem is for what its doing. I don't know enough about the ignition coils to know if any of those universal ones on ebay really fit the bill either. I see emgo sells a 6v one for old xr's. Also, when running, the lights are nice and bright too. it fires on the first couple kicks. I'm stumped at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:59 pm 

My guess is the screw or plate is stripped.

Rick