Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:50 pm 

Hello.
After I replaced the rear boingers on my MT I decided that I had nothing to lose by cutting one of the old damper bodies open.
I had no problem finding 10x25x8.5 spring seals and even some 10mm chrome rod to make new damper rods out of.
The rest of the job seems to be a small amount of machining and welding.
I'm planning on fabricating a removable aluminum seal retainer for adding/changing dampening oil and seals in the future.
I know that the stock Showas were nothing great to begin with but if I can at least get them to work like they used to and rebuildable
to boot It's worth a try.
If anyone is interested I'll post pics of the process so far and up until I'm done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:58 pm 

I fix anything and everything but gave up on the stockers and paid close to $300 for a pair of Progressives.
I did drill holes and added thick oil only to be reminded what Ray? mentioned about them being compression dampers only, no rebound damping.
THEY SUCK compared to my replacements and still look close to originals.

Cheap Rick. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am 

I'm no suspension expert.
It seems to me after inspection that the valving is set up to dampen in both directions of travel.
I'll get motivated and post pics of the components later today and you can see what you think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:41 pm 

Here's the gist of it.
The tube on the left is the compression dampener; it has slots on the outside end with a spring washer inside the tube. The round bits on the right are what I'd assumed to be the rebound dampener with the usual holes/ spring washer setup.
I can't see anything so far stopping me from making these rebuildable on the cheap.
I guess the question is, is it worth the effort.