Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 pm 

Hi, anyone, I'm new to this site so it will take a few times posting to learn it all, anyway I recently bought a 1974 Honda cr125 and cr250 together, the cr250 looks to be complete but the cr125 is missing parts and I noticed someone welded on the frame mounts for lay down shocks and I wanted to restore both bikes back as original as I can, but my question is what is your thoughts on the frame being altered like that and also on the same frame as the laydown shock mounts someone cut off the rear grab bar behind the seat( I call it a grab bar) I'm wondering if they did that to save weight or some other reason, do you guys think these alterations will take away value? should I leave the mounts as is? I know back in those days lay down shocks was all the rage. And why would someone cut off that grab bar behind the seat? Also the side covers are missing on the bike but it looks like the lay down shock mounts could possibly keep the side covers from mounting properly, i'm not sure on that yet I still need to find some replacements. anyone wish's to respond please, sometimes it takes me a couple days to get back but I always answer.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 pm 

The cut-off rear frame loop is not ideal, but if you still have the curved & straight frame crosstubes under the seat you should be fine for everything less than hardcore racing.

I'd either run all four stock shock mounts with the longest-travel shocks you can find, or the lay-down mounts with short shocks to a swingarm with moved-fwd mounts. My bike has slightly-forward top & bottom mounts & modified side covers, which is by no means long-travel but works fine for what it is.

Ray

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:04 pm 

IMO...The rear loop is cut off because someone looped the bike out and that and the fender got torn off and bent from this.

Rick