Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:07 am 
Does anyone know how to seal a small crack in the rubber intake boot? Honda has discontinued this item and I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:08 am 
Not to answer my own question but I talked to the guy who laced my wheels, he recommend saturating gauze with silicone sealer and wrapping it around the crak. I used liquid electrical tape. It looks good and I will let you know if it holds up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:09 am 
I just did one on my kids MR. Silicone and gasket maker only lasted a couple of days so I took the intake and washed it in paint thinner ( gotta get that oil off.)then boiling hot water.(gotta get that paint thinner off.)then I roughed up the rubber with sand paper,same as you would do with an inertube you were going to patch. Next I coated the intake with rubber roofing membrane cement,only cause I had some. If I didnt I would have used inertube patch cement. Same thing .It kinda melts new rubber to old. I wraped a 3/4 strip of rubber membrane roofing (only cause I had some) coated in rubber membrane roofing cement yery tightly around the intake. If I didnt have any I would have used a strip of bicycle inertube (same thing) and inertube patch cement (same thing , different colour.) Then I put the clamp from the carb around the whole mess.I used a different clamp,I think its off an old washing machine but you could use a radiator clamp, to hold the carb on . Paint it black and who knows. At least it will keep you riding untill you can find a new one. A tire shop might be able to help you out. Mine was pretty bad ,cracked 3/4 the way around. If anybodys got a product that is perminent Id like to here about it as this is a common problem on alot of older bikes. Hope my trial and error helps. let us know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:09 am 
I have always just used Black RTV sillicone. Wet your finger with spit and smooth it out and don't touch it for several hours.
I have done this on different bikes for over 20 years and never had a problem with it.