Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:28 pm 

Hi. I recently purchased my first dirtbike. This sparked a new excitement in my dad, uncle and my brother in law. They all are looking into dirtbikes now. My dad and uncle used to ride 20+ years ago on a 78 CR250R Elsinore and a 79 CR125R Elsinore and in fact they still have them. They aren't in running condition, but they're honestly not that far from it.

Currently my uncle is looking at getting a new bike, but if it is at all possible to get his CR250R going, he'd love to. The last time he rode it the chain flew off and smacked the engine cover and chipped it wide open. He covered it in the garage and never touched it for years. I believe all he needs is a right side engine cover.

My dads bike, the Cr125r, only needs a piston kit. We tried finding one before, but we're not sure what to look for.. he'd be more than happy to ride that bike again as well.

Would it be better to sell the bikes, repair them, or part them out? They do have a few aftermarket parts. The 250 has simons forks and a dg pipe. The 125 has a DG head and DG side plates.

Here's a link to a few pictures: https://imgur.com/a/dpez0f4

What's your opinion?

Thanks,
Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm 

I'd love to have either of them! Chances are they are not going to ride real hard at first so I would fix them up and ride them a while. Wiseco actually makes a piston kit for that 125. I don't think it has a boreable cylinder. The case on the 250 can be welded up by most good welding shops.