Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

Hi, my CR 250 won’t start after engine rebuilt. I have adjusted the points, believe they are OK. I have checked for spark holding the spark plug against the engine for ground. I see a good spark every now and again when i activate the quickstarter but in bewteen there is nothing, no spark. Some other times I get a week spark. I am waiting for a new capacitator but I am not convinced that is the problem. Also, since I do get a good spark every now and then I thought the coil is maybe OK, but I do not have the specs to measure if it is. Would appreciate comments on what might most likely be the problem and also if somebody has the specs to measure correct resistance in the coil. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 am 

Make sure the points are clean. I hold them open and spray them with contact cleaner and slide a piece of paper in them and let them close,then pull the paper out. Spray them again and let dry. It does sound like a bad capacitor though. You might unhook the kill switch wire just to be sure it's not messing up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:31 am 

Thanks for your comment. I mounted the new capacitator today, still no good sparks. I checked the kill switch, it works fine. I took off the coil and measured resistance. Primary side is OK but nothing on the secondary side. So now I have ordered a new coil. Of course I should have measured the coil before messing with the capacitator, lesson learned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am 

Long story short, it was a bad stator. I have installed a HPI ignition, easy start after a few kicks. To cold and snowy to test ride for the time being, so looking forward to summer season. The HPI ignition was fairly easy to install, but I had to make certain adjustments to the mounting plate that goes between the engine block and the stator.