Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 74 spark problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:07 am 
Hi there.
My nae is Chris and last year i bought a 1974 Honda Elsinore MT250. I spet the sinter in my shed taking this bike apart piece by piece right down to the frame and cleaned it all up. I put it back together just before spring hit. I have found a few problems though. I keep blowing fuses and it's not generating any spark after i had it going for the first time i had it. Plus the ignition switch i have for it is toast, the key won't even go in it anymore. If you can help me out here it would mean a lot to me.

Post subject: try this
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:08 am 
Hard wiring means to bypass the switch. Try this first to see if the switch is bad. You should have 4 wires to the switch. Black, Green, Red, and a Black/white wire. If you wirer the Red and Black/white wires together it should start. If it dont than you can try to strait wire the ignition.

To do that you take the Black/white wire that comes off the points. Put that wire strait to the Black/White wire on your Ignition coil. now the bike should get voltage from your stator coil directly to the ignition coil and it should start.

Now this will not have a kill switch on it at this point. If it does start you might have to pull the plug cap or put it in gear to stall it.

Hope this clears up you problem. And good luck.

Post subject: Re: 74 spark problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:09 am 
You are blowing fuses 'cause of a short in the wiring. its a good chance that its the switch. And that could also be why its not getting spark. other than that, you have not given enough info to really solve anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:10 am 
That is all the info I can give. That's how lost I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:11 am 
About 1/4 the way down on this board you will see a thread that says (mt250 wiring diagram). hard wire the switch and see if it will fire. Its a very easy process unless you need more detail. hope that might help?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:12 am 
I have the wiring diagram and I have unhooked and reconected all the wires on the bike. I don't understand what you mean by hard wire though. I also forgot to add in the fact that it doesn't have any signals at all (and i am only 15 and I am not very familiar with motercycles). Could you help me a little more with the details of hard wiring? Thanks.