Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fork Tube Protectors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:30 am 
Hi all,

I just received my new fork tubes from Forking By Frank and am looking for something to protect them from getting dinged by rock strikes. What I would like is some sort of rigid plastic that would bolt say to the triple clamps and extend down to cover the tubes. (I know about the rubber fork boots but I'm a bit worried about condensation build up and rusting.)

Anybody know of anything available?

TIA,

Loren

Post subject: Re: Fork Tube Protectors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:31 am 
Hi Loren! Summers Racing has plastic fork protectors that hang down from the bottom clamp to protect the tubes. Kinda like upside down fork guards on modern bikes. They're made for late model XRs, but since those have "rightside up" forks, you may be able to make them work. Tube diameter might be a problem, but I'm not exactly sure how they mount. Worth a look anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:31 am 
Oops.. forgot to add. This is for a 1974 CR250M.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:33 am 
Loren,

It would be easier to just get the boots. Most have a small hole at bottom and top I think for water. But I believe Franks tubes are Stainless so you don't have to worry about rust. Or you can just pull the boots up when not in use.

Blake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:33 am 
Hi Blake,

Nope, they're hard chrome. I asked about stainless when I ordered them and the lady said they had never made them out of stainless.

Loren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:34 am 
Wow, I am suprised by that. I thought thier stuff was stainless. Any way the other stuff stands. If you want upper protecters though I would check some flat track sites. That stuff is more coomon to that type of racing.