Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey fellow Elsie owners!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:42 pm 
My name is Dave Machado in West Los Angeles. I have a 1978 CR250R Elsinore. Sorry, my scanner is down so pic unavailable at the moment. I came across mine at a bar in Playa Del Rey, Calif. The guy knew I was into vintage moto xer's and brought it down to show me. He was asking $800 for it, but after a few beers, lol quite a few, i got him down to $300. It was a studio bike and was apparently in Starsky and Hutch and Charlies Angels. It was hard to keep feom drooling in front of the guy as not 1 nut, bolt or screw had been touched with a tool. I picked it up about 1999. I ride it regularly in the desert and just started riding district 37 desert and enduro races. I'm 51 and luv it. Funny how when i finish no one believes i finished on this so called antique, haha. It has a lot more technology then the bikes i raced prior to 1979. Thanks for your time and race them elsinores like they were manufactured to do. Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:33 pm 

Hi Dave,

I'm an old D-37 desert rat myself. Well I was until I moved out of LA and up to Sonoma County back in 1975. Airs much mo betta up here but it is a long way to any desert type country.

I ran my '73 Elsie almost two years in the dez including two B2V's. Now it's strictly VMX. Though if the Vegas run were ever resusitated I may just throw the old skid plate and three gallon tank back on it. Maybe if there were enough of us they'd do a vintage class. ;> (Yeah... wishfull thinking on my part.) There are some pics of it in the bike of the month archives.

See ya at the races.

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:26 pm 

Dave, can we persuade you to turn out for one of the Southwestern Vintage Racing Group (http://www.svrg.com) events? Spirited, but very gentlemanly racing without do or die doubles etc. Races are at Piru and Glen Helen which should seem easy to get to compared to the desert :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:28 pm 

Loren, I read that there will be a Barstow to Vegas dual-sport (road-legal) ride - can't call it a race - this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:31 pm 

Hi Michael,

They've had that over the years. And a couple of protest rides on some of the old course(s) that are now offlimits to riding. Couple of riders got arrested including Dick Van Dykes son several years back. The dual sport requires the bike be street legal so that leaves the old Elsie out in the cold. sigh

Loren