Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:21 pm 

I thought most of you would get a kick out of what happened to me.

As most of you know, I got my 74 CR250M out of storage to trail ride with my son. We were out not too long ago. It had rained a lot for several days before we went riding. Despite of, or because of the mud, we were having a ball. Every time my son would get close to me, I'd spray him with mud...

We were riding were I used to ride as a kid. We came up to what used to be a little stream. Well with the heavy rains we've had, it was a lot more than a little stream. I stopped to survey the situation; my son goes around me right into the water. I watched as the water almost covered his engine. He's riding a Yamaha TTR-125. He gets to the other side laughing his fool head off... Since I'm the old veteran, I decide to try a different line; hopefully the water isn't quite as deep. So I plunge in, literally, as my front fender disappeared under the water... (Yes, I picked the wrong line, Stop laughing, it wasnÌt that funny at the time) I did the only thing I could thing of, I grabbed a fist full of throttle, and let her rip... Have any of you experienced the eerie feeling of impending doom, when you know nothing good can happen when the sound of your exhaust changes because its now under water... Yes you guessed it, I didn't make it across before it died... (Yes, my son thought it was pretty funny too...) I ended up pushing it the last 5 feet out. At that point, the water was up to the bottom of the tank. As I got it to the other side, and let the water drain, all I could think of was the truck was at least 2 miles away... This could be a very long day.

My son thought it was the funniest thing he's ever seen, until I explained to him that unless I can get her going again, he had to push it out to the truck, while I ride his bike. Then I thought, we have to go back across the stream again. So we found a spot where we could cross and not have to swim. I told my son, when I get her going again, get out of my way, as I'm going to ride her like I'm 15 again, as I'm headed back to the truck.

Somehow, she fired right up, I vaguely remember the ride back to the truck. I basicly rode it wide open all the way back (I think it took all of thirty seconds to cover the two miles). Thank God, I still remembered where the trouble sections are in the trail. The best part is, the bike died just as I was coming to a stop next to the truck. . Can you say "THANK YOU"...

So the bike is now safely in my garage, with all fluids drained, the spark plug removed, sitting upside down to let the water drain from the engine.

I canÌt wait to go riding again. This time, I think IÌll look for a bridge over that stream.

OK, everyone sing it with me, "Bridge over trouble waters÷."