Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:47 am 

This past weekend, I took my 74 CR250 to a local track, to see if the old girl could handle it... Well the bike was flawless, it delivered what ever was asked of her. Now me on the other hand .... well lets just say that since the last time I raced on a track, I'm 25 years older, more than a few pounds heavier, and the only shape I resemble is a couch potato. I knew I was not in shape, but I didn't think I was that bad.... Now I will say we have been in the middle of a heat wave, the temp was 90+, with high humidity.

After a few slow laps to get warmed up, the race was on... I was racing my son, and a couple of his friends. Two of my sons friends race in the 125C class, while one has recently moved up to the B class. They were very interested in seeing how the Elsie would do. I was able to "hang" with them for a few laps, then the years of being a couch potato kicked in... I felt like someone had sucked all the energy from my body. I was laughing at myself, for thinking I could keep up with 15/16 year kids who have been racing all summer.... (not going to happen)

My son and his friends each took a spin on the Elsie. It was funny to watch as they came back to the pits, each with a wide grin, saying they can't believe the power that bike has, its a hoot to ride, but I'll think I'll stick with mine... I guess they prefer something with a bit more suspension, (I guess 4 inches of travel just isn't enough)

I guess I need to get my but off of the couch more often, and learn to race to my abilities, and or age and current shape. But, as we all know, when we jump on our old vintage bike, we are transported back to the days of our youth.... and we act like we did back in the day.... I guess that's why we ride vintage bikes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 am 
Site Admin

I was in the same boat back in 2001 when I got back into it. I hadn't even sat on a bike for 26 years. You really should hook up with the AHRMA Mid-Atlantic guys and go racing. There are a number of West Virginia riders so you wouldn't feel all alone out there. :) The people are awesome, the atmospere low key, and the racing is just plain fun, reguardless of your ability or physical shape. Check out their website at http://www.ahrma-ma.org and we'll see you at the races!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:53 pm 

My son went with a bunch of his friends to a nearby track. I decided to take my 74 CR250. Lets just say this track was not vintage friendly. The 4 inches on travel just doesn't cut it on today's tracks. I had a ball, but lets just say the track won.... It beat me to death. Although after a full day of messing around on the track, I put the bikes (both mine and my son's) back on the trailer, and never even had to open the tool box. Nothing on the bikes broke, and nothing in us broke either. I call that a good day. :)