Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:44 am 

Hello Vintage forum !
About to embark on the restoration of my dear departed HunnieBunnie's little '81 Yamaha MX175....
This was the only bike that could be found at the time where she (at only 4'10") could still reach the
ground without falling over...She taught most of the kids in the family to ride on this bike over the many active years, and rode the wheels off of it herself!! It's been sitting (along with my old '79 RM400) for almost ten years, and it's
about time it got brought back into running condition as well as freshening up the apprearance a bit....the RM will get done a little later...
Does anyone out there have a rust free '81 MX or DT tank they'd like to offer for sale, or maybe point in the right direction of one? Actually, can anyone
tell me if the tanks are interchangable?? They appear identical in the pictures I've been able to find...
Here's a pic of the impending project just for reference (if this works..) BTW, this will be a "Make Run" deal, not a full on restoration so aftermarket tips will be appreciated....will most likely need gastkets and such as well...
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.Image
Gerry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 am 

Hey Gerry, What's wrong with that tank? If it's just rusty inside, you might be better off coating it than searching and finding 3 or 4 more rusty tanks. Enjoy the reworking! Jon