Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mystery bike
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:14 pm 

Hi, can any one identify this bike? Pics are attached. The serial number is CT1-079279. What model and year is this bike. Unfortunately, the tag on the steering stem is not legible anymore, so I don't know what to do. I am looking for a carb rebuild kit, new points, and an air filter to get this thing running. Thanks for the help.

Attachments:
Moto3 (3).jpg
Moto3 (3).jpg [ 43.68 KiB | Viewed 5470 times ]
Moto2 (3).jpg
Moto2 (3).jpg [ 16.86 KiB | Viewed 5484 times ]
Moto1 (3).jpg
Moto1 (3).jpg [ 27.11 KiB | Viewed 5587 times ]

72 Yamaha CT2

Post subject: Re: mystery bike
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 pm 

The CT1 are 175cc models. I don't really know Yamaha serial numbers or paint vs. year but I would guess about 1972 from the high serial number.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 pm 

I've heard that there is a cut off point for years based on whether the bike has a reed valve or not. Mine does not have a reed valve. Does this narrow it down a little? Would this carb kit work on my bike? (ebay #380082466917) I have a picture attached of my carb's gasket, and it looks different from the one in the picture. Any one have a recommendation for a carb kit, or will this one work? How about points?

Thnanks

Attachments:
Gasket.jpg
Gasket.jpg [ 22.06 KiB | Viewed 5421 times ]

72 Yamaha CT2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:37 pm 

Correction, my bike DOES have a reed valve. Sorry about that.......... :?

72 Yamaha CT2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:14 pm 

My first guess would be it will fit. IMHO: Keyster kits are about the best. Unless you get an OEM kit I would go with the Keyster. They include parts that may need replacing that other kits don't. Some of the cheap rebuild kits for KeiHin just use a round O-ring instead of one formed to fit the carb for example.

I almost never worry about points. I mean contacts are always bad and make poor contact in a 40 year old bike but after you [clean, file, gap] them, they always work. The parts that do go bad are the capacitor or coil. I have had bad luck with after market parts on a couple of occasions where the new cap was made out of inferior materials and failed when the engine came up to temp. I'm sure opinions will vary but wait until you don't have spark, rough running, or points pit, before you start replacing stuff.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 pm 

Your motorcycle is a 1972 Yamaha CT2. The Keyster carb kit for your bike is p/n KY-0133. Points and air filters are available too.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:49 pm 

Thanks for the help guys.

72 Yamaha CT2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 pm 

looks like my old AG bike. I have found that most parts are similar for the MX and AG's of the era. The MX has the better gear ratio's. If it runs and 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are close and nippy then a big jump to the taller 4th and 5th gear then I would suggest she is AG 175.
I used to race my 1973 AG100 in the vintage Moto, Got 4th in under 250cc pre 1975 one year. even managed a win in the open class pre 1975 race once as the track was so bad I was the only one to keep the bike on her wheels. MMMMMMmud
great bikes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm 

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have a points now, and I have a Keyster carb kit coming soon. One question I have though is how do I install the points? I have never really understood this concept. Anyone have a good step by step instuction or some good links for this topic?

72 Yamaha CT2