Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:04 pm 

New to the forum -

I hope someone can help with this. I recently picked up a 83 YZ 125K basket case. I mean this thing has been abused and rode hard. Please don't ask why I had to have it - my wife has worn that question out already. I just hate to see a cool little bike like that go to waste.
Anyhow - In 83 there were 2 models of YZ 125 made, a (K) model and an (L) model. I have to replace or sleave the cylinder on this one. I found a cylinder on e-bay that is at the stock bore size, but I'm not sure it will work as it seems to be for an (L) model.
My question is - are the cylinders on both models the same?
I found that the part numbers are diffirent, but I cant figure out what the difference between the two are. I know the microfisch documents show two different heads.

Any help or info would be greatly appreceated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm 

I have just checked my magic book and the sizes between the K and L are the same BUT it shows the ring peg being in a different position on the L Model so i would say that the porting differs on the L. Other than that i dont know.

What size in mm is the bore at the moment? They were 56 as standard and there should be pistons available up to 2mm over.

Here in the UK the 83 Model was a K and the 84 was the L.