Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Carbs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 am 

We've got an 80 gt mx that's just been sitting around for a while because the carb is overflowing. I understand that the problem is either with the float or the float valve. If I could just go buy parts I would. If I could just buy a whole new carb I would. Will one of the small clamp on Mikuni carbs from Sudco replace it? Or does anyone know where I can buy carb parts for it' float, float valve, and float valve seat?

More generally, how do people deal with the problem of obsolete carbs on vintage bikes? We also have an 84 KX 80 and I just learned that the carb is a Mikuni VM29, also obsolete. Are some of the inside part #'s the same across various carbs? Are their adapters to upgrade carbs? I'm not too keen on buying carbs on ebay, as their apt to have a lot of the same problems.

I love vintage bikes, but I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on them if I can't learn to deal with the carb problems better. I live above 7,000ft elevation in the Colorado Rockies, so that ads to the frustrations.

Thank

Post subject: Re: Vintage Carbs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 am 

One other question. The 70's yz80 has a standard carb vs the clamp on type. Is it possible to fit the yz80 reed valve assembly onto the gt mx cylinder and convert the gt mx to yz reeds and carb? thx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:45 pm 

Sudco can get any parts you need almost for sure. So could a good local shop. Try the little custom bike shop if you have one in town. Those guys are used to working with old Mikunis and are generally run by guys who've been around and know how to do more than just open the Parts Unlimited books and say yes or no. You will very likely find a proper carb kit on ebay.

Come to think of it, you might not even need any parts. A rusty fuel tank or just old rotten gas can stick everything up inside the carb and make fuel run out. A can of carb cleaner and a 1/2 hour in the hands of somebody who knows what to do might be enough. Just find somebody over 50 who works on bikes, and show them your carb. They'll know exactly what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 am 

Thanks so much for the good advice.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 pm 

bikebandit.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 am 

Hey its a good advice and useful one..