Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 am 

Finally found a place where I can ask this question....

I took on a project for a buddy who has been over seas fighting the taliban and i'm stuck and need your help if possible. I'm working on an 82 yz80 for his kid and it runs great except for the coolant leak coming from the steering stem area. I've been on bikebandit.com and all of the parts to fix this are nearly $70 plus shipping and i'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. Has anyone done a bypass on the steering stem for this bike? I do need some bearings in the steering stem but i'm sure this will be a common problem. The issue is that there isn't any room to put in an elbow...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am 

I had a 1982 yz250 that had the steering head coolant path bypassed. It had another spigot welded to the radiator and two long coolant hoses going down to the motor. I doubt that cost much less than $70 to do if you had to pay to have it welded. It was probably done only because the steering had pathway was corroded beyond useable. If you take your 80's steering assembly apart you'll be able to see if the sealing surfaces are too rusted to seal. If they are good, you will probably want to do it right. If they destroyed, then you have the bypass option.
Good luck!
Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:45 pm 

great advice, i'll tear into it this week and post my results.

s