Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hey all, I just purchased an 82 250, the first day I got it it ran excellent we were at the sand pits all day and it ran great. I took it out the other night and it started to sputter and then it died. I brought it home and it fired right up and I rode around my house once and it sputtered and quit again. I took the Mikuni carb off and cleaned it good, I put it back on and the bike fired up again I was able to rev it a few times and then sputter and quit again, so I cleaned the carb a second time and very thorough and it did the same thing. Please give me any suggestions. I do not know how long the bike sat before I bought it. For the day I rode it I loved it what a nice solid sturdy bike.

Thanx Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm 

If the problem is carb related it sounds like it could be possibly 2 causes; the carb is either flooding over or it is running short of fuel in order to shut off as it is. If it is flooding out there will be most likely excess fuel coming out of the back of the carb if you remove the inlet filter/inlet boot. If it is flooding then the needle and seat has dirt/trash on it or is out of adjustment. Try blowing compressed air into the inlet hose and see if it stops. Another thing related to the flooding will be the condition of your tank; if it is a steel tank or a tank with lots of trash in it, it will continue to flood unless you get all of the trash out or put a rubber tank liner in the tank. No matter how much you clean the carb if the tank has trash in it, it will continue to flood over. Bikes that normally sit for a long time will have this problem.
If the bike has a fuel flow problem, take the hose off of the carb and see how well the fuel flows from it(it should be a steady flow and not a dribble. If it is dribbling then the petcock on the tank needs to be cleaned out. If fuel flows good from the hose, then remove the carb bowl and lower the fuel float in the bowl and note a constant fuel flow when the float is lowered (the flow will not be as good as the flow from the tank but it should consistant and not a little dribble. If the float height is incorrect it will also cause to little fuel to fill the bowl and cause the bike to starve out. Get a book and set the float according to manufacturers specs. if you can.