Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 am 

I bought this 1974 Yamaha MX250 a couple weeks ago and have had NO issues at all. It started on the first or second kick, no problem.
Last weekend I was out trying to teach a friend how to use the clutch, so the bike was continuously being stalled and restarted, and eventually, it stopped starting. I thought he had flooded it from all the wimpy kicks, but yesterday I found this:

It appears that this black wire has come out of the plug that goes to the CDI box. I pulled the spark plug and kicked the engine and found that it has no spark. SO what are my options? I can't find these wires available on the internet. Can I cut the other end of this black wire and splice them together? My plan was to romp on this bike for a couple months and then sell it before winter....can't do that if it dosnt run.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:59 am 

This weekend I'm going to cut the other end of the wire and splice them together. I realize maybe this was a silly question, but I figure there must be a reason why the two sections of wire PLUG into eachother, and are not spliced to begin with.

I just wanted some "expert" back up before I screw anything up...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:02 am 

It's there so whatever it is connected to can be removed without cutting the wires. If I were you, I would replace all 4 with new individual plug in connectors. Easy fix!