Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:59 am 

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic that has already been covered.

So I've tried 2 different ceramic paints on my muffler — Duplicolor Engine Paint (500º rating), and I also tried VHT header paint (2000º rating) with a satin top coat.

The Problem:
The end of the pipe that is nearest to the exhaust port goes flat black and gets chalky after only one ride with Duplicolor Engine Paint (semi-ceramic/500º rated). The VHT header paint seemed to break down the same, but that then again, it was only after the engine got so hot due to a bad crank seal (air leak).

The way I am prepping the pipe for paint is stripping the paint off to bare metal using a braided wire wheel on a angle grinder, then wiping down the pipe with starter fluid to remove any grease/oils, then a final spray of starter fluid once the pipe is hanging in my makeshift spray booth in a low-humidity basement (55% humidity).

I see so many enduro pipes that look gorgeous, but wondering what the owners did to achieve (and sustain) a satin look on the exhaust without it going flat black after riding. FYI, I know the hottest my pipe or exhaust port gets is 280º because I measured the temp with a good Fluke-brand temp gun.

Yes, I know I can go get the pipe Cerakoted, but I'm not paying $150... no way. If anybody has had any success with a particular rattle can ceramic paint or if you see any errors in my process please let me know. I so appreciate it!

Best,
John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 pm 

I've seen the VHT header paint work with great results on bike pipes ... Is there something in the starter fluid thats causing the coating to fail ???