Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 pm 

I have brought my bike back from the shop 2 times now, what is happening is that when I start my bike up and put in first gear, the bike acts as if the clutch isn't fully engaged and edges forward enough to stall the bike. Yesterday, I thought I had it figured out, but while riding it I noticed all the way down in first it still felt as if the bike was not completely disengaging, so a continual creep forward happening.
Today, I wanted to go out riding, but no go, as the bike would just lurch forward when I shift to first, and stalling. I am not mechanically inclined, something I want to change since I want to ride again, how do I adjust the clutch to see if it is simply needing adjustment?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 am 

Lois,

It sounds like your clutch cable needs adjusting. The quickest way is to loosen the large round aluminum locking ring on the cable adjuster on the clutch lever perch (item #25 in photo below), then unscrew the adjuster (#24) to take up any slack in the cable and allow the lever to fully disengage the clutch.

If this doesn't help, perhaps the gearbox oil is incorrect - it might be a good idea to change it (your dealer can do this, using motorcycle-specific 10W-40 oil). It's also possible that there's something wrong with your clutch; if this is the case, it looks like almost all the parts are available, which is great.

Ray

Attachment:
1978 RM250 Clutch Lever.jpg
1978 RM250 Clutch Lever.jpg [ 19.63 KiB | Viewed 3504 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 am 

It's possible you can adjust it out with the clutch cable by tightening it - but make sure you leave about a nickles thickness play between the lever and perch - if it's still dragging...

Start looking for new metal plates. Yours sound like they are warped and that's what's causing it to creep.

Good luck man. Let us know how it turns out.

Mikeee P