Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1978 Suzuki RM 125
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:19 pm 

I picked up a 78 RM 125 for cheap to mess around with, when i got it i drained the fuel, cleaned the carburetor(without dis-assembly), put in a new plug and it started.

I decided to rebuild the carburetor and picked up a keyster carburetor kit with the original size jets ect. i took it apart, made sure not to bend the floats, cleaned everything and reassembled with the new parts.

Now the bike will not start, i have a feeling it has to do with the air/fuel screw or the idle screw(i think thats the larger of the two rcorrect?). Where is a good starting point for both of these?

This by the way is my first motorized vehicle with anything under 4 cylinders, and my first 2 stroke.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 1978 Suzuki RM 125
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 pm 

First, check to make sure there is fuel getting to the carb. Drain the float bowl, then turn on the fuel petcock and check to make sure fuel is getting into the float bowl. If so, check the float needle valve and the floats to make sure the floats are not sticking. Check the pilot jet for debris. Take it out, clean it with carb cleaner, blow it out with an air compressor and reinstall. Do the same for the main jet. Turn the air screw all the way in until lightly seated (do not force it), then back it out 1-1/2 turns. This is a good starting point. Back the idle screw all the way out (you are correct, the larger of the two). Some mid-70's Suzuki's did not even have an idle screw. If the bike still does not start, put the old jets back in and try it. If it still does not start, it may be electrical (CDI or stator). Make sure you have the proper gas/oil ratio w/fresh premium (93 Octane) gas, and a fresh, correctly gapped spark plug. Good luck!

Kevin