Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am 

i have a 76 rm 125. i just bought it and i guess its bored 40 over. but thats not the problem. i just cleaned the carb and it was pretty clean... sprayed the jets and after that it ran pretty good. idled good and ran good.
i just started it up and the little screw with the spring in it.. i think thats the idle screw right? i turned it just a half turn and now it ran a little funny.. now the bike won't start.. any help?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm 

The screw with the little spring on the carb could also be the Air Screw. Usually turning the idle screw will only cause it to idle at a higher RPM, not prevent it from starting. The Air screw, however, can cause it to run funny (and possibly not start) because the air-fuel mixture is out of whack. Turn the air screw inall the way until it stops (do not force it). Then turn it out 1-1/2 turns. This should be a good starting point. You did not mention your location, so you may need to go a 1/2 turn in or out to get the correct setting. Good Luck!