Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 04 LT-Z400 carb trouble
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm 

well i have a 2004 LT-Z400 and i was jetting it out and changed the needle and so on.... when i did all of this i tried to ride and it wouldnt run unless the choke was on. so i attempted to change the needle depth a few times and still the same thing so after that i tore it all apart again and put it to stock needle and jets etc. but it still wont run unless u have the choke on what is the problem your help is appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:14 pm 

Did you clean out all the jets and passages with a good carb cleaner and then blow them clean with compressed air?

Can you please be more specific in regards to "it won't run"...is it surging at idle? Reving up? Just dieing? Does it start hard?

A few basics checks:
Have you changed the plug? What color is the current plug (the tip where it fires: brown, dry and black, wet and black, white?)
Have you adjusted the idle and air mixture screw?
Are all the connections tight on the carb?

Why were you messing with the jetting? The only time you should mess with the jetting is when changing elevations, or you have added aftermarket performance parts that necessitate changing the jetting.

Let me know and hopefully we can get it figured out :)