Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 71 TS185
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 pm 

I'm not finding a whole lot of info on these online, but my wife got me one and I'd like to get it back into working order. I'm assuming it's a 71, the build date is 6/71 so it may technically be a 72.
I have found that these are oil injected into the bearings, and have had it running long enough that I could see some slight oil movement in the clear lines. I am also running about a 50:1 mix just to make sure it's ok for right now. Unfortunately it won't do much more than idle and rev to 5k, it bogs and dies if you try to go over that. I have verified that it gets plenty of fuel from the tank, and through the needle valve, but it starts right back up so I'm kinda stumped. It almost seems like spark, but usually that's gone until it cools back down.
What model is the carb? The only markings I can see are Mikuni and ISO, and an internet search turned up very little credible info. I'd like to at least know what model it is so I can see what my options are for repairs.

Post subject: Re: 71 TS185
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:40 pm 

Does anyone know if the straight style kick start lever on this bike is interchangeable with the curved flip-out style?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:26 am 

I'd check the compression, and the main jet / air jet for clogging (I believe the Mikuni is a VM 26mm). If you haven't already, you might also want to throw in a new plug just for grins.

I can't help you with the kickstarter, sorry. The bikes I had were a '72 TS125 and TS90, both long gone (and lots of fun).

Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 am 

I had a thought on this the other day- Mikunis can be had with either pressure or gravity type fuel inlet valves, the difference being the gravity one is much larger.
The question is, are Keihins the same way? Is it possible that someone put a kit in the carburetor and unknowingly replaced the inlet valve with a pressure type?
What size inlet valve should it have?