Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm 

bike starts great and gives gas to 1/4 throttle but after that it just starts breaking down...bought another carb, checked gas tank petcock, all vent lines, new plug, reed cage. I amwondering if maybe its the stator, cdi or the coilreaking down. Maybe the volktage is ok for slow speed but not enough for 1/4 throttle up? I really dont think this is a fuel issue as i have just about changed everything related to that.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:40 am 

Same problem on my '80 CR250R. Above 1/2 throttle it breaks up bad. Rebuilt the carb 3x, plugs, checked wiring, the works. If the stator starts to go bad, it typically appears as some sort of carb issue. The ignition breaking up is key.

In my case, the bike has a rev limiter built in and it appears that I hit it at 1/2 throttle. So, at this point you need to pull out the book and check out the Ohms chart to see what the bike has for resistance v. the table in the book. Mine showed almost double what the chart listed.

Not sure if Suzuki matched stators & CDI's (Honda did) but if you replace one, the other is bound to fail. Replace as a pair, along with a new plug, and clean all the connections & grounds. Probley will be in the $200 range for all the parts.

Good luck!

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:35 am 

One other thought, how's the filter look? Is it overly oiley or plugged with dirt. Sounds dumb, but you never know.

Jim