Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 pm 

Hay Folks.
My dad bought an aparently seized TS90 that was used for dirt racing around the year 1974ish.He stuck it under our house shortly before I was born in 1982.
What I imagine to be the vin no stamped onto the steering column reads as follows TS90-~8965. The ~ could represent any of the following no's as it is not as clear as the rest so ~=3,8,9,or maybe even a 6.
Its missing the spark plug and when I pressed on the kick start lever the piston seemed to move quite freely.Its missing the fuel tank,needs new wiring and pipeing and the seat is torn.The thin plastic or metal chain guard is cracked as well as the part that holds the front forks and handle bars to the steering column being cracked as well (possibly from over tightening or crashing) Theres also surface rust on just about everything.Funny though,the tyres are still inflated even after 30+ years of neglect :) .
Not being a collector nor knowing the process or potential of its restoration,could anyone in the know please suggest,just from what I have described,what such a bike could be worth either as a whole or in parts? If its worth enough,Id look to sell it to make a little cash for my mother otherwise if its not worth much I'd look into taking it on as a personal project.
I live in a town of East London in South Africa but please feel free to suggest Dollar values as I can easily calculate it into out Rand value.
Thanking you kindly
Tyran.