Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suzuki RM125 engine swap
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 pm 

Hello i have a 1977 suzuki RM125B and was wondering if a 1980 RM125 engine could be able to be installed on that frame? do the front engine mounts have to be changed? will the rear engine mounts line up? thanks john

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm 

Nothing lines up. It is a totally different engine. It would likely require cutting and welding the frame mounts as well as making new mounting plates for the front. It could be done but would be allot of work. That's not even giving consideration to fitting the exhaust/silencer, lining up the front and rear sprockets or how to retro the carb boot to the airbox. Unless you know something about fabrication and have the correct tools, this would not be an easy project.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:06 pm 

John,
Ez is correct, nothing will line up. All of the engine mounts will have to be changed / fabricated. Unless you're just looking to spend time & money for the fun of it, it's not worth it. Too much work involved. You could go on evil bay and find a core engine and rebuild it cheaper / easier. Just my 2 cents........ :)