Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:21 pm 

Aloha!

Starting a rebuild on a 465, pulled the motor apart and noticed there were no side thrust washers straddling the crank big end. According to the microfische, they are supposed to be there, but I also looked at a crank on EBay and it didn't have thrust washers either. So what gives?

Also, looking for a decent fuel tank...and a clean shock shaft.

Any favorite vender/suppliers ?

I appreciate your help.

Kelly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm 

Yep. 1981-82 shows trust washers at the rod big end. If you are using an aftermarket kit,that might do away with the washers. Best thing imo is to call the company that makes it and ask.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:00 am 

I just pulled apart a 83 RM250. I also found no thrust washers. Yes the fische says they should be there. I am stymied also!

Just a FYI: I have not found a rod kit available for this machine other than stock...

88 CR250
74 TY250
07 YZ250
83 RM250 on the resto table
91 YZ250 with an Ohlins 360 kit in resto que
83 CR125 in resto que

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:53 am 

hey Skidmark, how did your resto go ? I just picked up a rough 81 model 465, but I haven't done anything with it yet. Its a krazee busy time of year for me...I did order a Pro Form exhaust system for it... its supposedly gonna take forever to get it..according to guys on the Full Floater page on fb...
hopefully,I won't need to go into the motor right away,as it seems to have good enough compression to run...I'm hoping to get away cheap with a running RM465 for what I paid for it... :shock:
I just wanted it...so I paid dearly...its one of the "beasties" from when I started racing at 13/14 yrs old in 1981 on a YZ125G...the big bore bikes were looked up to by us punk Glover/Bailey/Sun/DeCoster wannabes at the time...
I still need to get rear shock refurbished, and buy plastics for it too...but gosh its gonna be KOOL when I get to RIDE it !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm 

compmoto....i SOLD that beast.

WAY too much trouble getting parts for what i was going to end up with. Decided i would focus my energies on my zillion other vintage projects!

Good luck my friend !